The lots been happening post

Throughout this journey, I’ve been reading a lot of dev blogs. The ones I find the most interesting are the ones where people describe their thought processes, challenges and their hopes. The ones I skip right away though;

  • The “I’ve copied out a tutorial ad-verbatim” - seriously why? what is the point?
  • The “I thought I would write a post about motivation” - no mate, you're procrastinating 
  • Video logs - unless you speak with an RP accent and have BBC production values, I won’t be watching your vlog. 
  • The “I’ve been really busy post”, or the “lots been happening post”


To be honest, this post falls into the latter. Finding myself in a similar predicament, maybe I won’t skim past them next time.

With my day to day business, November and December are always the busiest months of the year. On top of this, I also had to move workshops during this period and set up my new one at the start of this year. But that is not to say anything hasn’t been happening on the game development front. 

The biggest challenge with my remake is the approach to the build of the level. I have found myself dangerously close to building a level tool rather than a game - which I don’t really want to do. What I have done in terms of progress at the moment is not terribly exciting - unless you have a fetish for file scripting objects.

Wheres Edward Woodwood when you need him

I have however been spending an amount of time doing tutorials in Blender but... A blog post about how I spent five hours with a blender tutorial then spent the same amount of time staring aimlessly into the abyss questioning my existence afterwards wouldn't be exciting reading. All I can say is “lots been happening”.

To summarise the hurdle, I know how I want to build my level, I just can’t find the right thing to build it. I also have to confess and come to the realisation that I and 3D Graphics do not get along.

On the plus side, I did discover a game meet-up that takes place in Leeds and went along to my first one in January.  I am hoping to meet some people there to collaborate with. As well as this project, I have kicked off a couple more game ideas, with the intention of improving my skills and learning Unity. I am kicking off blogs for both of these and have also set up the following website as a hub for all three blogs, a twitter account and a facebook page.

I know I am walking that thin line of starting another project before finishing one , but I hope this proves to be a more divide and conquer strategy.

With that in mind,the other projects I have started do have deliberate aims in terms of building my knowledge. The first Germania is extremely UI focused. The second  LawnMower Dreams is - and I say this walking on eggshells is about finishing a project...

Comments